The ST course builds on the general principles covered as part of the ITIL v3 Foundation course. It is intended for individuals who work in a Service Transition environment and who require a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts, the processes involved and the management activities – and how they may all be used to enhance overall service quality and service provision during the Service Transition phase of the ITIL v3 Service Lifecycle as an integral part of the overall business-focused Service Management framework.
About the Program
This course is one of the Intermediate Level certification courses and is recommended for individuals who require a deeper understanding of the ST element of the ITIL Service Lifecycle and how it may be implemented to enhance the quality of ITSM within an organization. The main focus of this course is on the managerial and control aspects of the service transition environment. This course has a number of study units with practical application to reinforce the knowledge gained.
Who Should Attend
It is important for you to attend if you are:
- An IT professional working in roles associated with transitioning services into live operation within a service-based business model
- Seeking the ITIL Expert level certification in ITSM for which these are prerequisite modules or
- Seeking to progress towards the ITIL Master standing in ITSM for which the ITIL Expert certification is a prerequisite.
The Service Lifecycle and Service Management as a practice
- Describe the Service Lifecycle and the objectives and business value for each phase in the lifecycle
- Explain and articulate “service” and be able to explain the concept of Service Management as a practice
Service Transition Principles
- Demonstrate the main principles and policies that influence and guide the performance of ST processes, focusing on the planning and implementing activities
Service Transition Processes
- Analyze the purpose, goals, objectives and management/control activities of the ST processes and functions, including:
- Transition Planning and Support
- Change Management
- Service Asset and Configuration Management
- Release and Deployment Management
- Service Validation and Testing
- Service Evaluation
- Knowledge Management
Note: In-depth discussions around the operational activities of each process are part of the Release, Control &
Validation (RCV) course.
Service Transition Activities and Organization
- Managing communication
- Organizational and stakeholder change
- Stakeholder management
- The stages of introducing ST to an organization
- ST roles and the relationship of ST to other Lifecycle phases
ITIL ST Exam* (90 minute, eight (8) multiple-choice, scenario-based, gradient-scored questions)
- Successful completion of this course and exam provides 3 points of the necessary 15 electives to achieve the ITIL Expert certification (2 points for Foundation and 5 points for Managing Across the Life Cycle are mandatory).
Note: The Lifecycle course, Service Transition, and the Capability course, Release, Control & Validation, have a significant amount of overlap of topics and therefore, in the interests of achieving the broadest possible education, it is NOT recommended that both feature in the selection of courses taken in order to acquire the points necessary for the award of ITIL Expert status – even though all points acquired will be credited.
*Important Note for Virtual Course Participants: The ITIL v3 ST exam is not available in a virtual format. As a result, separate arrangements must be made by the participant to schedule this exam. Various options are available depending on the participants’ geographic location. Please contact your sales representative for further details.
||ITIL® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited. The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited. The ITIL Accredited Training Organization logo is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited.
Course registrants must provide a scanned copy of their ITIL v3 Foundation Certificate (or ITIL v2 Foundation plus ITIL v3 Foundation Bridge Certificates) before they may attend the course. Certificates should be emailed to Theresa.Kaler@iil.com. Providing just certificate numbers is not acceptable to the accrediting Examination Institute.